Monday, February 27, 2012

Rice, Veggies and Broth


This dish is quick to make and I find it very comforting. You can make it with whatever veggies you have in the fridge.


I am sure there is a proper name for this dish but I have no idea what it might be. I leave some of the veggies cold while others I cook. I like the contrast while I am eating this but if you want you could cook everything.


Rice, Veggies and Broth

1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
12 mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 green onion, diced finely
3 - 4 cups of veggie broth (I use broth cubes and water)
Sesame seeds to garnish

Firstly cook your rice according to the package. Usually it's a one to one ratio rice to water but you might have your own rice cooking tricks!

Meanwhile cook your mushrooms in olive oil until they are browned. Right at the end add the maple syrup and cider vinegar and cook for one more minute. Set aside.

To assemble put about a 3/ 4 cup or so of rice into a bowl. Top with some of the hot mushrooms, cold red pepper slices and some green onion. Ladle in a cup or two of hot broth and garnish with sesame seeds.


1 comment:

  1. This looks exactly like what I want to eat tonight. It's going to be 32C here today in Tasmania Australia and I want something that is going to feed me and satisfy me without overheating the kitchen. You nailed it! Thankyou for this excellent recipe idea. Cheers from a sweaty Narf7 ;)

    ReplyDelete