Monday, September 26, 2011

Vegan Rice Pudding


Sorry for the long delay in blogging. It's been a busy month. But I am back with a  very yummy recipe.


This is my first month participating in the Secret Recipe Club and my assignement was to make something from Apron Strings Blog. There was a lot of yummy stuff and I was having trouble deciding what to make. But then I saw this rice pudding recipe and I was set. I didn't have pistachios to garnish so I used sesame seeds, acia berries and cashews. I found the recipe a bit on the sweet side so next time I would reduce the sugar.


CARDAMOM RICE PUDDING

2/3 cup basmati rice
3 cups water
2 cans (12 ounces each) coconut milk
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 cup sugar (I would reduce the sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Diced pistachios for garnish

In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring to a boil the rice, water (or milk), coconut milk and salt. Reduce heat to simmer the mixture very slowly. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of oatmeal.

Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Serve chilled or at room temperature with garnish of your choice.

14 comments:

  1. My cousin made use a great Indian rice pudding at the last family reunion. This recipe sounds like it would taste like the one she made. I am going to try it and see. :) Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to SRC! You'll love it! I'm a big fan of rice pudding and cardamon. I will try this and take your advice for reducing the sugar (I don't like overly sweet). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great SRC post! The rice pudding looks delicious. I've never made rice pudding before. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that you liked the rice pudding! And, I'm happy to have discovered your blog!

    Cheers!
    Donna
    apronstringsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great twist on this wonderful classic. You picked a great recipe for SRC. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rice pudding rules - I love all flavors! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had rice pudding before! It looks really good!!
    Glad to be in Group C with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love rice pudding, must try this recipe!
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C - http://su.pr/2rtACr

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I think I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rice Pudding was a real treat for me growing up. I love being reminded of that with your recipe. Beautiful pics and great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooo I love cardamom; never put it in rice pudding, though. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for the lovely welcome to the SRC. And thanks Donna for the yummy recipe. Everyone should try it is really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back. The pudding looks amazingly delicious. This is such a nice post. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. “If you're reading this...
    Congratulations, you're alive. and happy new year 2016
    If that's not something to smile about,
    then I don't know what is.”
    happy new year 2016
    Memorable moment r celebrated together,
    U r my best friend for now & forever,
    Make me Miss U even more this New Year,
    Hope this happy new year 2016 bring Happiness for you Dear.
    happy diwali
    My wishes for you, Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, Have a lucky and wonderful happy new year 2016.
    New Year SMS
    A mother had a slender, small
    body, but a large heart – a heart so
    large that everybody’s grief and
    everybody’s joy found welcome in
    it, and hospitable accommodation.
    Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ReplyDelete